Kelli Lee's Reviews > Croak

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-fantasy
Read from June 17 to 20, 2012

3.5
Are you keen on grim reapers? Do you secretly wish that Death on Supernatural would get his own spinoff? Ever watch the TV series Dead Like Me? Did you have a crying jag because of its cancellation? Well dear Goodreaders, cry no more, for Croaked is your godsend. This book is similar to the aformentioned TV series and encapsulates Death and all his grim-reaping glory. (Remember when Dean subbed as Death for an episode? It's kinda like that episode in a way.) Anyhow, I would classify this novel as a quirky dramedy.

Now, onto my thoughts. Okay, here's the dealio. I adore the world building within this tome. And mad props to you Mrs. Damico for having world building in the first place - woot, woot. I'm talking Grim reaper rules and regulations, an SOP for reaping, the whole nine yards. Even if some of said rules left me scratching my head in utter befuddlement, but that's a me thing, a Kelly issue. Regardless, I did enjoy this novel. It's fun, fun, fun.

Why it failed to garner 5 stars:
Gripe one of two: the overall plot didn't take off until 100 pages in. Now normally I'd be all over that like white on rice, complaining as all get out, HOWEVER, the world building that filled in for the building plot held my interest. I adore the township of Croak, the store names, descriptions, etc. So I was fine fine fine with the slow build. And gripe numero dos - the denouement fell short on me. I was confused. I didn't get it, buy it, understand it. As a result my attention began to wander, went on a walkabout.

All in all, this is a hard book for me to rate, for I overall enjoyed this novel, yet it suffered with this rapidly occurring syndrome as of late, the syndrome where the 2nd half of a novel loses its steam. That book where it starts out so strong yet peters out halfway through.

Yet, but, unlike so many of those novels, I will continue on with this series. And that's saying something. So, if you like stories about grim reapers, love sarcastic prose (and this author is on, on, on like donkey kong), world building, then definitely give this book a chance. You won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.

06/18/2012 page 30
10.0% "Okay, first off, I'd love to live in Croak. 2nd of all, loads-o-sarcasm, I'm in love. Seriously, I love the author's wit." 3 comments
06/19/2012 page 145
47.0% "Cool world this author's created. Love the rules and regulations, so regimented. Makes sense. And appeals to my Virgo nature." 6 comments
show 1 hidden update…