Caleb's Reviews > Hogfather

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

May 22, 2012

I thought the book was awesome. The first thing I discovered of Terry Pratchett was the movie, Hogfather. I was just thrown into the middle of the action. I was new to the smart humor and characters, and the overall awe-inspiring imagination of Pratchett. I decided that I was going to read the book the moment I found out there was one. Then I realized that it was book twenty in an on-going series. I couldn't wait to read it, though, so I figured I'd read the first two books, then this one. I thought that if all of the books included different characters, it wouldn't be necessary to read ALL of them. But I digress.
Overall, I give this book a perfect score. As previously mentioned, I loved the witty humor and the complexity of Discworld. It was like being on a grand adventure, especially to a new-comer to the series. Although the multiple plot lines were a bit hard to follow all at once, I thought they were spaced out enough to allow a satisfactory experience. I think it was supposed to be a little complicated, to give a sort of hectic feel to it all.
The characters in the book fit together very well, too. The chemistry or "anti-chemistry" between characters really built up a relationship that I could actually believe. Especially between Susan and her Grandfather, Death. Between nonchalant banter and serious conversations, there was a working chemistry that brought the characters to life. I could really feel for the characters; I think they all had great personalities, good, evil, and everywhere in between.
The book was well-written, with just enough comedy between seriousness that I think it should be considered a classic. This book shouldn't be forgotten. It is my hope that it never leaves the shelves of book stores. It has a rightful place beside Shakespeare and Poe. Even if they have no interest, people should at least know of the existence of Hogfather.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hogfather.