Maggi's Reviews > How to Kill a Rock Star

How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo

Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2012

I can't believe that I didn't comment on this when I first read it. It felt like Tiffanie DeBartolo sifted through the deepest recesses of my brain and wrote characters that are deeply personal to me. I live every moment with my own personal soundtrack, it's the way I have always functioned. I did not, can not, will not survive my life without being connected to the music in my head. Eliza and Paul not only get that like no other characters have, they let it direct their lives like a philosophical compass. It's eery, beautiful and surreal to follow them through their choices & the consequences that follow.
Quite simply, I have never loved a book more. It pleases me to no end that so many friends have caught on to the beauty of DeBartolo's writing and are having their own profound experiences reading it.
If you haven't already read this book, you are missing out on a modern classic!! NOW GO READ IT!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Kill a Rock Star.

Quotes Maggi Liked

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“I am of the theory that all of our transcendental connections, anything we're drawn to, be it a person, a song, a painting on a wall--they're magnetic. The art is the alloy, so to speak. And our souls are equipped with whatever properties are required to attract that alloy. I'm no scientist so I don't really know what the hell these properties are, but my point is we're drawn to stuff we've already got a connection to. Part of the thing is already inside of us.”
tags: love

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“Tell me what you listen to, and I'll tell you who you are.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“Eliza has the sky in her eyes and I’ve always wanted to touch the goddamn sky.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“I hate that word, CAN’T. I wish it had never been dreamed
up, spoken, or defined. I wish the concept of CAN’T could be
eradicated not only from language, but more importantly from
the psyche of a girl who I know is filled with so much CAN it seeps out of her pores and scents the air.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“Personally, I don’t like inherently happy people. I don’t trust them. I think there’s something seriously wrong with anyone who isn’t at least a little let down by the world.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“Did you really want to die?"
"No one commits suicide because they want to die."
"Then why do they do it?"
"Because they want to stop the pain.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“It sounds silly, I know. But for me, the power of music rests in its ability to reach inside and touch the places where the deepest cuts lie.
Like a benevolent god, a good song will never let you down.
And sometimes, when you're trying to find your way, one of those gods actually shows up and gives you directions.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“I've got my girl and my guitar, and for me that's enough.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“Has the industry done to music what McDonald’s has done to eating?”
tags: music

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“See that?" Paul said. "Ten goddamn seconds."
"I don't get it."
"You didn't even have to hear the whole song, just a few lines, and you got the chills and that swirly, happy-sad feeling in your gut, didn't you?" ... "That's the difference between the real stuff and the crap. I know which one you are and you know which one I am.”

Tiffanie DeBartolo
“Forget the noose. Forget the Iron Maiden. Forget the electric chair or the guillotine. The mind was mankind's most painful torture chamber, the blessed liberty to cogitate offering either doom or salvation, depending on one's disposition.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janna Mashburn Love this review! I feel the same way about this book. It was pure excellence!

Maggi Janna wrote: "Love this review! I feel the same way about this book. It was pure excellence!"
Thanks Janna!