Foxthyme's Reviews > The End of Cheap China: Economic and Cultural Trends That Will Disrupt the World

The End of Cheap China by Shaun Rein

Jul 08, 2012

bookshelves: blew-me-away, world-economy

This is not the kind of book I'd usually pick up to read. However it came highly recommended, and as I love so many things Chinese, such as the martial arts, the food, the TCM approach to medicine, I thought, Yeah, I should read this.

And I was blown away by the many changes occurring in China, as well as how those changes are being distorted or ignored here on the North American side of the world.

We all know about China's one child rule, and how that skewed births towards male children. Well, what most people don't know is that Chinese women are now becoming the higher paid wage maker in the household, they are also being raised and treated like princesses, and they have a great deal more purchasing power than they did even ten short years ago. So they are also driving brand market trends.

The Chinese consumer is increasingly brand loyal, looking for quality in their regular and status purchases. If a company falters, and quality is compromised for whatever reason, forget about it. The company is done.

Oh, I can go on...but, I won't because the writer, Shaun Rein, does such a comprehensive and extremely readable job of describing China's economy and its potential effects on the world economy today.

This is an extremely eye-opening read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Cheap China.

Luaba Looking forward to found out what's your opinion on this one :-D.

Foxthyme Eye-opening so far!

Luaba My sentiments exactly!

Foxthyme Uh, mindblowing. Page 66, page 86-87. The now women driven economy. Amazing.

Luaba I didn't know about that very important fact. Or that with the Exception of the '08 crisis,China has raised the minimum wage by 18% or more every year since 2003. Now that's what I call growth. I used to think that everyone over there was just oppressed and nothing uplifting was happening... Not true at all.

Foxthyme Thanks, Luaba! Thoroughly enjoyed.

Luaba I m so glad that you've like it, and hope you got to learn something new. And of course always a pleasure to have a book that we agree on.

Foxthyme Lol! You've got that right!