Mogsy (MMOGC)'s Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

May 29, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, mystery, romance, thriller-suspense, science-fiction
Read from May 23 to 29, 2012

My first venture into the world of Nora Roberts (writing as J.D. Robb), and I have to admit I have no idea what first led me to pick up this novel which is book one of her more-than-40-titles-long and hugely popular "In Death" series. Probably because I've always been aware of her as a powerhouse author and was interested in her writing but wasn't too keen on the prospect of reading her romance stuff. A mystery suspense crime series set in the future, on the other hand, sounded like it could be something I might like.

What it turned out to be though, is a romance. Granted, it was heavy on the mystery and suspense too, but I still felt like that was all secondary to the relationship between Eve Dallas and Roarke. In retrospect, I should have expected it. After all, it's still Nora Roberts.

I did like this book. Loved the crime element and the thrills, and how the overarching mystery of the story unfolded. I could have done without the romance, but at the same time I didn't mind it. Just that my favorite parts of this book all turned out to be the non-romance bits. I found I always wanted to skip those scenes and just continue with the murder mystery.

One final note, I found NR's constant switching of POV oftentimes in the middle of a single scene very jarring and sometimes confusing. But seeing as I'm most likely going to continue with book two, I guess I'll just have to get used to it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.