Kathy's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

May 22, 2012

bookshelves: book-club, psychology
Read in May, 2012

I found this book fascinating. There were so many interesting stories, sometimes thought-provoking and sometimes unsettling, that made me want to learn more about them and look up further information. I was most interested in the marriage study and the reading of facial expressions. Gladwell's point was a little muddled sometimes. First impressions are good and often better than judgments made after careful thought, but first impressions can be bad. It all depends on your level of experience in the subject, although even if you are an expert you can have underlying prejudices that you don't recognize and can't control. So I'm not 100% sure what to take from his premise, but I do think he is a great storyteller and I was very engaged in the book and entertained by it. I watched YouTube videos of the musician Kenna that he talked about. I Googled a chair he talked about the design process of so I could see what it looked like. I want to learn more about Paul Ekman, who painstakingly decoded the muscular movements of every facial expression. I was quite intrigued by that section and plan to read something by or about Ekman and his teacher Silvan Tomkins. It's been awhile since a book has inspired me to keep digging deeper like that. Maybe I should take more psychology classes. Interesting puzzle, the human mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.