Caroline's Reviews > Turn of the Century

Turn of the Century by Kurt Andersen

Sep 21, 2008

liked it
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Personally, I enjoyed this one a good bit, but I'm only giving it three stars. That's because I can't see it being particularly accessible to anyone who has never lived in New York and worked in either media, technology, or possibly finance.

The software-company boardroom scenes, and the depictions of i-bank trading (while eerily pertinent given the events in the financial services industry earlier this month) sometimes got flat-out, instruction-manual boring, but the rest of "Turn of the Century" drew me in enough to sit through them.

One more nitpick: the subplot involving the anti-Microsoft hackers is integrated rather sloppily. I would've rather seen this having a stronger bearing on the two protagonists earlier on. I realize that the point is that thanks to New York media's ongoing butterfly effect they were indirectly responsible for the Fark-like antics, but I would've liked to see this as more of a running subplot than an "oh wait!" that pops up in the last quarter of the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turn of the Century.