Tamara's Reviews > Candid

Candid by Michelle Pennington

May 22, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read from May 23 to 29, 2012

Can a simple photography blog change old perceptions? High School..... ugh, not my favorite phase of life :) The hierarchy is enough to give anyone a headache, right? That's part of what makes Candid an interesting read.... that and the complicated dating life, or lack thereof, of Sienna Whitfield.

Candid is set in a normal modern day high school; Where cheerleaders are at the top of the social ladder and average students often go unnoticed. Sienna is one of the average students, and she's happy that way. She has a few close friends, and photography is her passion. She's very focused and has a stable life, and is comfortable with who she is. Her mother's "no dating until you graduate" rule is a bit archaic, but she takes it in stride. She is the type of person that I think all teen girls should strive to be.... themselves! Lee is not your typical jock, it's nice to see a guy with old-fashioned values. Throughout this book both characters grow and mature, they begin to explore (and question) their boundaries... both personally and as a potential couple.

Overall I enjoyed this read; sometimes the photography side and the relationship side came off as independent stories... which was the only thing that poked me about this story. I love how the characters are developed though, I think that the author captured high school and teen life perfectly. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy YA contemporary romance, and those who love popular guy/normal girl couplings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Candid.

05/28/2012