Melki's Reviews > The Wet Nurse's Tale

May 24, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from May 22 to 24, 2012

Breasts.

Approximately half the population's got 'em.

And throughout the centuries, women have used them to earn money. Baring them on film and in magazines. Shaking them while twirling aroung poles. Using 'em to feed babies.

Wait! What?

That's right. Their main purpose is for feedin' the young'uns. And not that long ago, a woman with few other options could make a living by breast feeding.

After an accidental pregnancy leaves her lactating, Susan Rose earns her keep by going from house to house, feeding the babies of women either too sick, too vain, or too disinterested to do it themselves. When her second babe is snatched away and placed in the home of a mad woman, Susan devises a plan to be reunited with her son and protect him from harm.

Susan is a great character. I can't imagine anyone NOT liking her. A healthy, hefty, big-boned gal, she realizes that her job is somewhat odd, but necessary. And while illiterate, she possesses common sense and a down to earth manner that serves her well. She is candid and refreshing, and truly makes this book worth reading.

A page-turning mix of humour and suspense, I tore through this sucker in no time flat.

And now - some breast feeding jokes:

*On board a plane, a man was seated next to a young mother with a baby in arms. When her baby began crying during the descent for landing, the mother began nursing. Turning to the neighbouring passenger, she explained that her pediatrician said breast feeding would help alleviate the pressure in the baby’s ears.”
“Huh” said the man. “And all these years I’ve been chewing gum.”

*Why are womens breasts like a trainset a child gets for Christmas? Because they were both designed for kids but dads like to play with them.

*Students in an advanced Biology class were taking their mid-term exam. The last question was, ‘Name seven advantages of Mother’s Milk’, worth 70 points or none at all.
One student, in particular, was hard put to think of seven advantages. He wrote:

1) It is perfect formula for the child.
2) It provides immunity against several diseases.
3) It is always the right temperature.
4) It is inexpensive.
5) It bonds the child to mother, and vice versa.
6) It is always available as needed.
And then the student was stuck. Finally, in desperation, just before the bell rang indicating the end of the test, he wrote:

7) It comes in two attractive containers….and the cat can’t get at it.

He got an A.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wet Nurse's Tale.

08/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Keeten You had me at Breasts. Great review Melki.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark "i tore through this sucker in no time ".

speaking of breast feeding that seems suitably apt

Angie Lisle I'm just starting the book but great review!

Melki Thanks, Angie.

Stephanie Smith of all the reviews for this book, yours is by far the "breast" one! :D

Melki Thanks, Stephanie.

message 7: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Please, the only important advantage to Mother's Milk is that nursing leaves the mother's hands free for holding a book.

Melki And a cocktail!

message 9: by Nefariousbig (new)

Nefariousbig I like your style, Melki. 8)

message 10: by Kaethe (new) - added it

Kaethe Cheers!

(Truthfully, I demanded milkshakes rather than cocktails, but I certainly agree with the concept)

message 11: by Char (new) - rated it 5 stars

Char I couldn't agree more with you. How could you NOT like Susan Rose? I found myself rooting for her, page after page.

Melki Yep. She was a great character. I'm still waiting for another novel by this author.