Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)'s Reviews > Lies Beneath

Dec 02, 2013

it was ok
Read from May 22 to 25, 2012

The review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

I really wanted to like this novel….but I didn’t. It’s not bad. Nothing really jumped out and captured my attention. It’s well written and easy to understand. It gets bonus points for being written in a first person male perspective. This was one of those books where I was vaguely interested in seeing how the story turned out but I wasn’t very invested in it. I really enjoyed this take on merpeople and the author’s take on the lure behind them. It was an interest and unique spin on a fairly common storyline. I think my main issue was that it was pretty predictable. I knew after reading 30 pages exactly where the story was going. I knew that Calder was going to fall for the daughter and that would cause major issues. And even though I wanted Calder to end up with Lily, I found myself becoming more and more annoyed at the highly predictable way it unfolds. Apparently there is going to be a sequel and while I’ll probably read it, it’s not something that I am desperate to get my hands on. It’ll be more of I came across it cheap at a thrift store and wanna give it another shot.

Good points:
-I loved the hero’s name, Calder. It’s so different.
-No love triangle
-No cliffhanger
-Interesting take on the mermaid lure
-first person male perspective

Bad points:
-Very predictable
-A bit boring
-I didn’t like most of the characters
-It lacks humor. I don’t think it made me laugh once.

Sadly, this novel just isn’t for me.

****Thank you to Random House Children's Books for providing me with an eARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review****

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.

05/22/2012 page 20