Rachel's Reviews > A Million Little Pieces

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

F_50x66
Sep 21, 08

bookshelves: memoirs, drugs

Ok I'm going to shock some of you by going out on a limb here. I loved this book. I understand the criticism, the things that Frey probably made up. The way he made himself more of a "badass" than he really is. I get all of that, I really do. There are certain events in the book that I thought were made up even before the scandal (like getting teeth extracted with no novacaine).
I think his fictionalization of events is kind of like Dave Eggers. Not exactly true, but sort of an interpretation of the truth. It's really a terrible shame that he didn't just own up to all of this in the beginning because it caused so many people to just turn their back on this book.
Even given all of that, I found this to be a very inspiring book. I do believe Frey was an addict for sure because he seems to capture the horror and desperation of addiction very well. He truly hit his bottom, knew he was going to die, and couldn't decide for a while whether or not he cared. And he decided to live. You end up rooting for him and seeing that recovery is really hard for the troubled soul. It's like gambling with odds about as good as winning the lottery. I know it's hokey, but I ended up feeling like if this guy could do this, anyone could truly do anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Little Pieces.