Heather's Reviews > Spells

Spells by Aprilynne Pike

May 22, 12

its been so long since ive read this and i couldnt remember much so i checked it out again so i could do this review. i skimmed and scanned &skipped a lot of things.
the main character isnt all that likeable.
there are some pretty cool things in here, though. like the way society is layed out,&the ranks of the different types of faeries.
like the relationship between tam&laurel, that she outranks him.i like how if she wants them2 be 2gether, she'll have to ask him
The World Tree in here is like in the gemma doyle series when people sacrifice themselves and live in the tree.
no mom wud act like david's mom did wen she walked in on them kissing. on her sons bed.
i dont like how david knows all about the faerie world.&then chelsea ended up knowing too.
also didnt like ho chelsea used to love david, or w/e.i mean why put that in here? becuz we all want friends who were after the guy you're currently dating?!
david thinking the flower on her back is sexy is laughable!&gross. wut human would think that?! flower growin out of sum1s back is stupid.
i understand laural didnt like the ranking and social status, and how every1 looked down on tamani.i would have been the same way, but itsannoying when tam tells her to follow the rules, like sit down because you arent supposed to stand up and clap,and she remains standing &clapping.like an idiot.
tam says they have festivals where u go..have fun, as in do it.&laurel laughs.like its funny.idiot!
laurel does things, like touches,flirts and teases with tam, and when he touches her, she pulls away.
her constantly getting riled up about tam not being able to ask her to dance, etc. was annoying. u know the rules, just deal with it.
liked the references about The Princess Bride and The Count of Monte Cristo.because i love those movies!
she goes and makes tam apologize for kissing her after she's setting there getting all close to him while they're dancing.
she said him loving her made their flirtations seem too serious and like she was being unfaithful.um,u were nvr faithful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spells.

Quotes Heather Liked

Aprilynne Pike
“Would you rather you were able to experience the reunion with a long-lost set of parents who had been suffering for years missing and loving you or would you rather they weren't hurting while you were raised by human parents who adore you?"
Laurel swallowed. "I hadn't thought of it that way."
Tamani smiled softly and lifted a hand to her face, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear and letting his thumb rest on her cheek. "Trust me, it's no picnic missing you. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.”

“Like...instinct?"
At that Laurel flopped down on her back, a frustrated breath whooshing out of her. "Oh man, instinct, that's like the F-word in Avalon.Yeardley kept telling me, 'You are trying to rely on instinct,you need to trust your intuition instead.' But I looked up those two words and they mean the exact same thing.”

Aprilynne Pike
“A lot can happen in that time.And, seriously, if you have to give up a dream to be with a guy, maybe you've chosen the wrong guy."
Chelsea's brow furrowed and she fiddled with her fingers. "And what if the time comes and the dream doesn't seem worhth it?"
David's and Tamani's face seemed to float before Laurel's eyes, the Academy looming in the background.She shrugged and forced the images from her mind. "Then maybe it was the wrong dream.”

Aprilynne Pike
“Tell me you don't love me."
Laurel's mouth moved, but she said nothing.
"Tell me," he said, his voice sharp and demanding. "Tell me David is all you need or want in your life." His face was closer to her, his soft breath caressing her face. "That you never think of me when you're kissing him. That you don't dream about me the way I dream about you.Tell me you don't love me."
She looked up at him,desperation consuming her. Her mouth felt dry, parched, and the words she tried to force out wouldn't come.
"You can't even say it," he said, his arms pulling her in now instead of holding her steady. "Then love me, Laurel. Just love me!”

Aprilynne Pike
“He lives for you, Laurel, and that's not some kind of figure of speech.He lives every day for you.Even after you moved to Crescent City,all he did every day was talk about you,worry about you, wonder what was happening, if he would ever see you again. And even what I told him I was sick of hearing about you, I could tell he was still thinking about you.Every moment of every day.”