caty's Reviews > The Islanders

The Islanders by Christopher Priest

May 22, 12

Read in May, 2012

A travel guide through the Dream Archipelago.

This isn’t really a novel. There are recurring characters, but I read it more like a collection of short stories, mostly written in the style of a travel guide. Do read the introduction. I didn’t until halfway through when it occurred to me that the name of a character looked familiar and lo and behold it was because the character had written the introduction and I’d missed that! I really enjoyed several facets of this book. It doesn’t all connect together but is a description of an alternate earth. I’m not sure when the book is supposed to have been written as depending on the island things are just happening or have just happened or happened decades ago or will happen next week. But I didn’t think you lost anything with this. Take each chapter as its own, independent of but related to any other. Really, you don’t need to read everything in the order here. I think it says that in the introduction too. Read it however you like. You will find semblance and be able to put you own stories together based on what’s here, but this is just like a few building blocks to something bigger.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Islanders.