Jerelyn's Reviews > Confessions from an Arranged Marriage

Confessions from an Arranged Marriage by Miranda Neville

May 22, 2012

bookshelves: regency-romance
Read in May, 2012

Confessions of an Arranged Marriage by Miranda Neville.
This is the fourth book in the Burgundy Club series. I have been burned out a bit on Regency romances, but I'd read the first books in the series and found this one available in the digital catalogue at my local library.

It is the story of the Marquis Blakeney and Miss Minerva Montrose, whose ambition in life is to become one of the great political hostesses of the era. The Marquis is the quintessential air headed sportsman, who is very very handsome, but considered by his social group to be empty headed. A male dumb blond as it were, a misconception he unfortunately believes, due to being dyslexic, amongst those who believe this is Minerva. Ms. Neville uses a rather tired plot device to bring around a marriage between the mismatched pair. But in spite of that I still really like this book.

What I like about Ms. Neville’s novels is that her protagonists have real problems. In this case, I don’t think this is a spoiler, but Blakeney is being back mailed and has lived in shame because of his learning disability. Neville really shows you the pain this causes a boy expected to excel, and how that has come to haunt his adult self. In a time when this learning disability was unheard of, you can imagine the soul crushing shame he endures. It is because of this extra depth that Ms. Neville imparts that I have come to like her work so much. 4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions from an Arranged Marriage.