Dianne's Reviews > An Abundance of Katherines

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from June 22 to 28, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Abundance of Katherines.

Quotes Dianne Liked

John Green
“Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.”

John Green
“You don't remember what happened. What you remember becomes what happened.”

John Green
“What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?”

John Green
“I figured something out. The future is unpredictable.”

John Green
“There's some people in this world who you can just love and love and love no matter what.”

John Green
“How do you just stop being terrified of getting left behind and ending up by yourself forever and not meaning anything to the world?”

John Green
“He found himself thinking that maybe stories don't just make us matter to each other - maybe they're also the only way to the infinite mattering he'd been after for so long.

And Colin thought: Because like say I tell someone about my feral hog hunt. Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward - ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter - maybe less than a lot, but always more than some.”

John Green
“you can never love someone as much as you miss them.”

John Green
“He liked the mere act of reading, the magic of turning scratches on a page into words inside his head.”

John Green
“That's who you really like. The people you can think out loud in front of.”

John Green
“I don't think you can ever fill the empty space with the thing you lost.”

John Green
“Do you ever wonder whether people would like you more or less if they could see inside you? But I always wonder about that. If people could see me the way I see myself—if they could live in my memories—would anyone, anyone, love me?”

John Green
“You matter as much as the things that matter to you. And I got so backwards trying to matter to him. All this time, there were real things to care about: real, good people who care about me, and this place. It's so easy to get stuck. You just get caught in being something, being special or cool or whatever, to the point where you don't even know why you need it; you just think you do.”

John Green
“And the moral of the story is that you don't remember what happened. What you remember becomes what happened. And the second moral of the story, if a story can have multiple morals, is that Dumpers are not inherently worse than Dumpees - breaking up isn't something that gets done to you; it's something that happens with you.”

06/28/2012 page 111