Shannon's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

F 50x66
May 22, 2012

Read from May 22 to 26, 2012

I don't really know what I can say that would do this book justice. Anything I could write would be the ravings of a fangirl, and I try not to do that, but this book is definitely one of my favorites. It's such a modern classic, and seems to be the kind of book that folks who read what I do have generally skimmed through at least once. It's been imitated, too, and there seems to be a lot of post-apocalyptic novels getting written lately, but this is one of the best.

I love everything about this book. I love the depth and richness of the characters. I love how the book sort of meanders to get where it's going, and even enjoy the detours it takes to get there. The writing is evocative, and the scary bits are just as scary on this third reread as they were the first time around. In fact, in places they were scarier, because I knew what to anticipate. I also think I got more of a connection to the characters. In many ways, they were like visiting old friends.
I enjoyed watching the events of the novel progress, watching the characters grow and change, and I definitely won't soon forget the experience. I even appreciated the cheesy last section of the book in a way I haven't before.

A lot of people say this is one of King's best books. I definitely agree. Highly recommended.

Rating: 5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Andrea One of my favorites!