Mina Villalobos's Reviews > Pattern Recognition

Nov 20, 08

bookshelves: sci-fi
Recommended to Mina by: Christine
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

I enjoyed this book very, very much. Jen remarked to me how much white space the book has in the sense that.. there seems to be a lot of gray noise. I found that quality of the narrative very soothing and familiar, since it reminded me of the cushion that internet activity makes around my own life and my social interactions. I can be more sociable being less sociable, and the more time I spend on my personal timezone/jet-lag space, the more capable I am the rest of the time. I think the book was a wonderful portrait of the life of the 21st century, or what it can be for some of us.

Because so much seems possible, the impossible disappears from our unconsciousness. This is fertile soil for paranoia and obsession and the most (wonderful/terrifying) theories, however unlikely they are.

In the end, though, we're all human. And the world is both weirder and less weird than we think it is.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pattern Recognition.

11/16/2008 page 92
25.07% "Currently super awesome! Really enjoying it and feeling scarily connected to Cayce. Awesomesauce."