Rachel's Reviews > Obernewtyn

Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

Jun 05, 12

Read from May 22 to June 04, 2012

For Elspeth Gordie freedom is-like so much else after the Great White-a memory.

It was a time known as the Age of Chaos. In a final explosive flash everything was destroyed. The few who survived banded together and formed a Council for protection. But people like Elspeth-mysteriously born with powerful mental abilities-are feared by the Council and hunted down like animals...to be destroyed.

Her only hope for survival to is keep her power hidden. But is secrecy enough against the terrible power of the Council?

(amazon.com)

Obernewtyn was a very original book. Though it kinda reminds me of "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children". There are "misfits" who are staying in an orphanage; that's the only similarity I see. But the plot line is definitely different. Elspeth can read minds. She is sent to the mysterious and haunting Obernewtyn. While she is there, she finds out that not everything is right at Obernewtyn.

Elspeth was a very strong protagonist. She had brave moments and despairing moments. She made friends and lost friends. I loved her character! The antagonist was the mysterious owner of Obernewtyn. He was a scary character. Mostly because we don't know who he is. All we know is that he is torturing certains misfits. They other mysterious person was the Doctor. He seems like such an evil person, but we find out the truth at the end of the first book.

There were a lot of twists and turns in this novel. So many unexpecting moments. It was amazing! I hope the rest of the series is just as good! I can't wait to read them! Fantastic job Isobelle Carmody! 4/5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obernewtyn.