Julie's Reviews > Operation: Endgame

Sep 18, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in August, 2012

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Operation: Endgame is the first book in debut author Christi Snow’s When the Mission Ends series. It is a contemporary romantic suspense story and yes, it’s true, I don’t read many books of this genre but you know what?…I really enjoyed it.

The characters are what did it for me. They are well developed and very likable. Cassie, the main heroine, was smart, sassy and a thorough joy. I liked how passionate she was about her job, her friends and her family. She was definitely a chick I would want to hang out with in real life. In fact, I would want to hang out with all three of main women, Cassie, Julie and Penelope – who will all end up getting their own book and HEA by the way…but more on that later.

Jake was a great hero. A bit wounded because he blames himself for his friend’s death but not so wounded that you want to shake him and tell him to get over himself. He is a fantastic match for Cassie and I love how he handles her ‘situation’. He’s all alpha because he loves her yet tactical because he’s military. His reactions really suited his character and how he was with Cassie once he made his feelings known suited him too.

We get a glimpse of Cassie’s BFF’s Penelope and Julie and of her brother too. Even though we don’t spend an enormous amount of time with these characters, they leave their mark. They will be the focus of the rest of this trilogy and, just from what I saw in book one, I am thoroughly pleased. I have already created a bit of a bond with these people and I can’t wait to know more about them and to watch their stories unfold. That is pretty impressive writing when an author can create a connection with her readers using secondary characters in such a short amount of time.

A few things in this book are explained via flashbacks. Now, for those of you who just moaned a bit and muttered “boo, flashbacks” do not fret. They are very well done and fit the story perfectly. They truly help the story along and not just pretend to.

The suspense part of the book was really well done. Cassie is well known after being interviewed about her role in the development of a war-based video game and has gained an extra passionate admirer. Yup, she has a stalker. A creepy one at that. Not like there is such a thing as a non-creepy stalker but I think you know what I mean. While I was reading, I could have sworn I knew who the stalker was. In fact, I thought Christi made it too obvious! But just when I was really thinking that, she threw in a couple of other suspects and suddenly I’m starting to second guess myself! Eventually she had me convinced that any of these three guys could be the culprit! Well, it turned out that… As if I’m going to tell you which one was the ultimate bad guy, but I will tell you that (even if you are a smarty pants and think you have it all figured out from the get go) there is no way you will ever guess the why behind it. With that part I was all “wha’?!” in a good sort of way.

Speaking of “wha’?!”…the twist near the end!!! Holy jumpin’!

There is a bit of repetition here and there and I did wish that Cassie took her situation a little more seriously at times and stopped putting herself in harm’s way but neither of these issues bothered me enough to truly damper the story for me. The overall pacing was great and I really enjoyed Christi’s writing voice. I feel it suited the genre very well.

Overall, I quite enjoyed Operation: Endgame. I found the story engrossing and the characters well written. The story, even though it was suspense based, was sweet and I found this book read exceptionally well. Christi is a voice to watch and I can’t wait to read more.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation.