Aubrie Dionne's Reviews > Four Sisters, All Queens

Four Sisters, All Queens by Sherry Jones

May 22, 12

Read in May, 2012

A Rich Tapestry of Courtly Duty, Political Intrigue, and the Fight for Ultimate Power

Four Queens, All Sisters weaves the stories of four young girls all married off to Kings and other powerful men to secure their family’s stronghold in Provence, France. In planning these unions, their mother hopes they will hold family above all, but the very unions she arranges threaten to tear the sisters apart.

I loved this book, and I don’t read much historical fiction. I’d always thought of how wonderful it would be to be a Queen, but Sherry Jones paints a harrowing, realistic picture, which makes me thankful for the freedoms we all share in the modern world. These girls must use their wit to stay alive, never mind fawn over dresses and jewels. Forced to marry men they don’t love, who very rarely love them back, they must produce heirs to secure their positions, or the marriage they’ve given away everything for will dissolve.

The writing is elegant and flowing with a rich historical atmosphere right down to the mouth-watering feasts they lavishly displayed and secretly couldn’t afford. The four main characters are strong in different ways, and I cared for each of them, wanting so badly for this family to succeed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Sisters, All Queens.