Jared Millet's Reviews > Superman – Action Comics, Vol. 1: Superman and the Men of Steel

Superman – Action Comics, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

May 22, 12

bookshelves: superheroes, graphic-novels
Read in May, 2012

I could complain all day long about DC's "New 52" but the one thing I'm actually enjoying about the reboot is the rejuvenated Superman. Action Comics' T-shirt and jeans Superman with his Occupy Wall Street attitude probably came as a shock to anyone who hadn't read Morrison's Supergods, but his approach clearly harks back to Siegel and Shuster's original populist reformer version of the character. Morrison wastes no time establishing the New 52 versions of Lex Luthor (back to being an evil scientist instead of John Byrne's Kingpin ripoff), Brainiac (evil alien supercomputer reminiscent of the early 80s version), and Metal-zero (clever revamp of Metallo that doesn't change much from the original).

All the pieces are in place for a 21st century Superman that clings to the best bits of the old (and kind of makes Superman: Earth One redundant) but lets its no-longer-godlike hero bleed once in a while. I'm sure the gravity of DC storytelling will once again make him an invincible, boring boy scout, but Morrison's run on the title should be fun while it lasts.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman – Action Comics, Vol. 1.