Christopher's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 03: Safety Behind Bars

The Walking Dead, Vol. 03 by Robert Kirkman

May 22, 12

Read in May, 2012

What I love about the Walking Dead franchise in general is that you can read as far as you like in the comic series and it doesn't spoil a thing for your enjoyment of the television series. At the same time, reading the graphic novels will inform you a little bit as to what could happen in the TV series, so readers are rewarded with an enticing leg-up over those who don't flip the funny pages. With this volume, I have a pretty good idea of where the next season of AMC's "Walking Dead" could go - unsurprisingly, it won't be pretty. At all.

Keeping within the boundaries of the comic series, I was a lot happier with this collected bundle of WD comics than I was with the previous volume. While the exposition is still often quite clunky and the dialogue still has its awkward moments, I feel like these issues at least show proof of a knowledge of the writing weaknesses, and I'm excited to read future volumes to see how and if the writing continues to improve. The overall pace and action is way improved in this volume of stories, and the quality of character development remains excellent.

If you're a fan of the TV show and you're curious about checking out the comic series, I say DO IT. The first two volumes might feel like a bit of a slog (or not), but keep reading. It gets better. And hopefully volume four is better still.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 03.