Maqluba's Reviews > The Marriage Ring

The Marriage Ring by Cathy Maxwell

You've got a stuffy lawyer with a body of a giant and a beautiful petite actress/singer who's blackmailing his family. They go on a journey to find out the truth and they end up with their own happily ever after.

This is a favorite of mine, and I've re-read it many times and I know I'll probably re-read it again. The first time I read this I rated it 4 stars but after I've re-read it I can't figure out why I didn't make it 5 stars. Since it's not fair, because I don't re-read all my books, I won't change the rating but I can tell you I think it fits in the 5 star category.

I think Cathy Maxwell has given us something new here. Sometimes I get tired of reading about Dukes and Earls and people who are poor but then find out they come from a rich family. Here we've got two people of the lower class (well the hero isn't lower class but he's someone who works for a living) and the heroine isn't a virgin- (view spoiler). I re-read this when I want to read about a non-virgin heroine with stuffy hero, just so I can step away from the world of balls and ballgowns stories.

I love that the heroine and hero even fit their names... 'Richard' is the perfect name for a stuffy attorney and Grace is the perfect name for a beautiful singer. She's not a courtesan by any means but she's not a mistress.. she's had lovers but she's not loose and she doesn't spend her time trying to seduce Richard or mess with his head. They are pretty honest with each other and I love that about them- no big misunderstandings until the small one at the end but even then that felt understandable. He's not a giant teddy bear, he's a giant tough guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and he's just looking for someone to love him.

Separately they might be lacking but together they become a power-couple and I can really see them having lots of babies while he works in his office and she sings them lullabies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Ring.