Susan Mcgarvey's Reviews > White Horse

White Horse by Alex Adams

May 26, 12

bookshelves: post-apocalyptic-dystopian, sci-fi, speculative-fiction
Read from May 22 to 24, 2012, read count: one

Realistic and horrifying tale that begins with a young woman finding a mysterious jar of unknown antiquity waiting for her in her locked apartment one night when she returns from work. The chapters effectively alternate the "then" timeline--her seeking to uncover the mystery of the jar, the beginning of the "white horse" epidemic--with the "now" timeline of her journey through epidemic-ravaged Italy and Greece in search of a man who may already be either dead or horribly changed by the DNA-altering illness that has brought the world to a whimper of an ending.

I'm always thrilled to read a rendering of the hero's journey--it fulfills a primal yearning in my cosmic soul--and the post-apocalyptic genre is one of my favorites. I give White Horse four stars because it hits almost all the right notes for me. The main character is thrust from the relative safety of a world where three locks on the front door is apparently inadequate into a bewildering land where some humans have morphed into monsters, some have given in to the monsters that were always within them, and some--herself included--struggle to maintain their humanity in a world where humans are "no longer a viable species." The climax of the story--while unexpected, which is a very good thing--made some connections that seemed contrived, which is why I couldn't give five stars. On the whole, a very satisfying read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Horse.

05/22/2012 page 220