Kari's Reviews > Hex Appeal

Hex Appeal by P.N. Elrod

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, dresden-files, short-fiction, pn-witches-wizards, pn-ghosts-zombies, pn-vampires, pn-other
Read from June 26 to 29, 2012

I only read the first three stories--Ilona Andrews' 'Retribution Clause,' Jim Butcher's 'Bigfoot on Campus' and Rachel Caine's 'Holly's Balm.' I was pleased with all three, especially 'Retribution Clause.' We got to see a little bit more of the world Kate Daniels inhabits, and a lot more of the magic system. Butcher's story was also really entertaining, as Harry Dresden usually is, though I am a little sick of his chivalrous hero/knight-complex. It worked here, but it could easily be too much. Caine's story isn't part of a larger world, though we met Holly & Andy in another short in 'Strange Brew.' The 'twists' were really predictable (I knew who the serial killer was almost right away), but the magic system is unique, and I just LOVE the two main characters. I hope Caine writes more about them!

The other stories are mostly in series I don't read, except Simon R. Green's Nightside story. As I do read that one, I was turned off immediately by the HUGE infodump at the beginning and quit reading. Seriously, Walker just wanders past Dead Boy and tells him his whole 'death' story, like he doesn't know. Huh? No thanks. I mostly read Nightside for John Taylor and Suzi Shooter anyway.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Appeal.

06/26/2012 page 72
20.0% "The Ilona Andrews story was as awesome as I'd hoped. It's cool to meet new characters in a familiar world, and Saiman's cousin is great."
06/28/2012 page 128
35.0% "Mmm, Harry Dresden. Fantastic short, as always! I definitely want to see more of Bigfoot & Irwin. :)"