Michael Smith's Reviews > Never Have I Ever

M 50x66
May 22, 2012

Read in May, 2012

******Spoiler Alert******

"Never Have I Ever" is the second book in "The Lying Games" series by Sara Shepard. It is a mystery that portrays the life of Emma Becker in search of her twin sister Sutton Mercer while standing in Suttons' shoes. After adjusting to her new life, Emma learns more about Sutton and her friends and the pranks they have pulled on people. They pull pranks called the lying games, which are the ultimate pranks. Emma thinks that she is in the ultimate Lying Game.

The author makes the book suspenseful with every word read. Things are brought back from the past and are tied in to the story. Toward the end, Thayer, Madeline's brother, returns after a year of no connection, they thought he was dead. Another scene was a lying game that the reader had no idea of was when Emma was told to meet someone at the cave which closed and trapped her. I personally thought it was the killer getting his or her point across, when in fact, it was a lying game initiated by her friends.

The book switches between two different points of views, Emma’s point of view, and Sutton’s point of view. You may say, how is that possible? Sutton’s ghost is overlooking the whole thing putting the pieces together herself. She has no recognition of how she died. I personally like that because not only is it suspenseful when something happens for Emma, but it gives more clues as to how Sutton has been murdered.

My favorite character is Emma. She is a strong and powerful young girl, not so much physically, but mentally. She took over her dead twin's life in search of her killer and to find justice. She has encountered death many times and, overcame it. She knows how to balance her emotions, thoughts, and suspicions.

I would say that this book focuses on Emma's attempt to narrow down the number of suspects responsible for her sister's murder. However, there are always new characters being factored into the suspicion. I would also say the ultimate plot could make the reader angry, it is like a never ending case, will we ever find out who the killer is? Is this a lying game? Who knows…? I don’t know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Have I Ever.