Cyrene's Reviews > The Little Prince

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

F_50x66
May 22, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Prince.

Quotes Cyrene Liked

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“What makes the desert beautiful,' said the little prince, 'is that somewhere it hides a well...”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“People where you live," the little prince said, "grow five thousand roses in one garden... yet they don't find what they're looking for...

They don't find it," I answered.

And yet what they're looking for could be found in a single rose, or a little water..."

Of course," I answered.

And the little prince added, "But eyes are blind. You have to look with the heart.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“You - you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You - only you - will have stars that can laugh.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, El Principito

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings." -from the Fox-”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be content that you have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And you will sometimes open your window, so, for that pleasure . . . And your friends will be properly astonished to see you laughing as you look up at the sky! Then you will say to them, 'Yes, the stars always make me laugh!' And they will think you are crazy. It will be a very shabby trick that I shall have played on you...”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“If you love a flower that lives on a star, it is sweet to look at the sky at night. All the stars are a-bloom with flowers...”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“You see, one loves the sunset when one is so sad.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew near--

Ah," said the fox, "I shall cry."

It is your own fault," said the little prince. "I never wished you any sort of harm; but you wanted me to tame you . . ."

Yes, that is so," said the fox.

But now you are going to cry!" said the little prince.

Yes, that is so," said the fox.

Then it has done you no good at all!"

It has done me good," said the fox, "because of the color of the wheat fields.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“The proof that the little prince existed is that he was charming, that he laughed, and that he was looking for a sheep. If anybody wants a sheep, that is a proof that he exists.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“She cast her fragrance and her radiance over me. I ought never to have run away from her... I ought to have guessed all the affection that lay behind her poor little stratagems. Flowers are so inconsistent! But I was too young to know how to love her...”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“I remembered the fox. One runs the risk of crying a bit if one allows oneself to be tamed.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“You're beautiful, but you're empty...One couldn't die for you. Of course, an ordinary passerby would think my rose looked just like you. But my rose, all on her own, is more important than all of you together, since she's the one I've watered. Since she's the one I put under glass, since she's the one I sheltered behind the screen. Since she's the one for whom I killed the caterpillars (except the two or three butterflies). Since she's the one I listened to when she complained, or when she boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing at all. Since she's my rose.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasn’t much improved my opinion of them.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“In those days, I didn't understand anything. I should have judged her according to her actions, not her words. She perfumed my planet and lit up my life. I should never have run away! I ought to have realized the tenderness underlying her silly pretensions. Flowers are so contadictory! But I was too young to know how to love her.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“I did not know how to reach him, how to catch up with him... The land of tears is so mysterious.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“Where are the people?” resumed the little prince at last. “It’s a little lonely in the desert…” “It is lonely when you’re among people, too,” said the snake.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“When someone blushes, doesn't that mean 'yes'?”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched, they are felt with the heart.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“Please-tame me!' he said.

'I want to, very much,' the little prince replied. 'But I have not much time. I have friends to discover, and a great many things to understand.'

'One only understands the things that one tames,' said the fox. 'Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me.'

'What must I do, to tame you?' asked the little prince.

'You must be very patient,' replied the fox. 'First you will sit down at a little distance from me-like that-in the grass. I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings. But you will sit a little closer to me, every day...”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“But the conceited man did not hear him. Conceited people never hear anything but praise.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“Look at the sky. Ask yourselves: Has the sheep eaten the flower, yes or no? And you will see how everything changes...”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“Men have no more time to understand anything. They buy things all ready made at the shops. But there is no shop anywhere where one can buy friendship, and so men have no friends any more. If you want a friend, tame me...”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“I ought not to have listened to her,' he confided to me one day. 'One never ought to listen to the flowers. One should simply look at them and breathe their fragrance. Mine perfumed all my planet. But I did not know how to take pleasure in all her grace.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

“You're not at all like my rose. You're nothing at all yet. No one has tamed you and you haven't tamed anyone. You're the way my fox was. He was just a fox like a hundred thousand others. But I've made him my own and now he is unique in the world.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“What does tamed mean? It's something that's been too often neglected. It means to create ties.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“C'est le temps que tu a perdu pour ta rose qui fait ta rose si importante.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“Grown-ups love figures... When you tell them you've made a new friend they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you "What does his voice sound like? What games does he love best? Does he collect butterflies? " Instead they demand "How old is he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make? " Only from these figures do they think they have learned anything about him.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“I was too young to know how to love her.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“I wonder,” he said, “whether the stars are set alight in heaven so that one day each one of us may find his own again...”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

“If you were to say to the grown-ups: "I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof," they would not be able to get any idea of that house at all. You would have to say to them, "I saw a house that cost $20,000." Then they would exclaim, "Oh, what a pretty house that is!”
― Antoine de Saint Exupéry, The Little Prince

“On ne sait jamais!
One never knows!”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“The night had fallen. I had let my tools drop from my hands. Of what moment now was my hammer, my bolt, or thirst, or death? On one star, one planet, my planet, the Earth, there was a little prince to be comforted. I took him in my arms, and rocked him. I said to him:
"The flower that you love is not in danger. I will draw you a muzzle for your sheep. I will draw you a railing to put around your flower. I will --"
I did not know what to say to him. I felt awkward and blundering. I did not know how I could reach him, where I could overtake him and go on hand in hand with him once more.
It is such a secret place, the land of tears.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“You're not a man, you're a mushroom!”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“No one is ever satisfied where he is.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
“If you could fly to France in one minute, you could go straight into the sunset, right from noon. Unfortunately, France is too far away for that. But on your tiny planet, my little prince, all you need do is move your chair a few steps. You can see the day end and the twilight falling whenever you like...
"One day," you said to me, "I saw the sunset forty-four times!"
And a little later you added:
"You know -- one loves the sunset, when one is so sad..."
"Were you so sad, then?" I asked, "on the day of the forty-four sunsets?"
But the little prince made no reply.”