Megan Kolde's Reviews > The Rescue

F 50x66
May 22, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read in May, 2012

While reading The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks, I didn't want to put it down. Every chance I had I wanted to read to see what happened. Like most of Sparks' books it was amazing. A perfect love story to say the least. I would suggest this book for girls to read rather than boys. Just because it is kind of like a "chick flick" type of book.

The Rescue takes place in modern day South Carolina. Denise a young, single mother of Kyle, a five year old little boy with a comprehension disorder as well as a speech disorder. Denise gets into a car accident during one of the wildest storms ever known to hit Edenton, a small town in South Carolina. Kyle not knowing any better, and feeling scared and alone escapes the car while Denise is unconscious. Kyle wonders the largest deeps swamps on the outskirts of town. Taylor McAdean, a volunteer firefighter, stumbles upon Denise’s car while on way to another call due to the storm. Taylor takes it upon himself to find Kyle before it’s too late.

I would suggest this book to anyone who has read Nicholas Sparks’ books before and likes them. It was definitely a tear jerker. I loved every second of the book. There wasn’t every a chapter when something important didn’t happen. I would read this book again and again. It was amazing! Go read it, if you haven’t!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rescue.

message 1: by Latreese (new) - added it

Latreese Lovence This is my first book by Sparks and I expected what I was presented with. The story line was one that cross the paths of two estranged lovers in a heart-jerking way, that involved the disappearance of Denise's son, Kyle.
I started the book wanting to root for the main couple. After going through a traumatic experience at the beginning of the book, I was finally able to do that when Taylor was introduced. The reason why he fits the role for Denise's lover is because he meshes so well with Kyle. Denise faced pressures of not "fit[ting] into either world [of being married and having children or single]" (Sparks 110). Even though Taylor had some issues, but in the end his love for Denise and Kyle prevailed and they lived as a wonderful family. Definitely a book that I would recommend to someone willing to go cry as they get contained by the story line.

Heather Miklandric I must agree it is a tear jerker. I hardly cry while reading a book, it usually takes me actually seeing it on screen to make the tears stream down my face. But this one had me crying as I was reading it in 7th grade. My teacher actually came and put her hand on my shoulder and asked if I was ok, I answered by saying "it's my book," and she smiled and moved on.
Taylor's relationship with Denise felt real even though it was kind of fast but I loved how their relationship wasn't perfect.