Audacia Ray's Reviews > Imagine: How Creativity Works

Imagine by Jonah Lehrer

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: history-of-science, read-in-2012
Read from May 22 to June 12, 2012

I have been plodding through this book because I've been listening to the audio book (featuring the author) when I go on my runs. It's been kinda like listening to a really long episode of RadioLab, without the Jad and Robert banter.

Generally, its a fascinating exploration of what fosters creativity, and the degree to which creativity is a thing that can be encouraged in anyone, given the right circumstances and creative space.

But, I'm giving it only two stars because like episodes of RadioLab, the book features the innovation and ideas of white dudes, with no consideration of the privileged biases of science. The types of creativity featured in the book are capitalist-invention-related or show great success of artists - and posit white dudes as examples of success in these matters. But perhaps the means of creativity aren't a universal? No, fuck perhaps - MOST DEFINITELY there are differences in the ways creativity happens and different measures of success. And that isn't considered at all in this book, instead the white male innovator is the stand in, pretend inclusive "us."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imagine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Soo Na (new) - added it

Soo Na Thanks for this thoughtful review!

Angela Totally. I love Jonah Lehrer's books but you are right. I keep thinking how can you base creativity in cities based on the amount of patents and what about the creativity that isn't recognized. I keep wondering why I stop listening to this book and you have nailed it.