Kirstine's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

May 22, 12

bookshelves: comics-and-graphic-novels, fantasy
Read in May, 2012

"I am anti-life, the beast of judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, Gods, worlds... of everything. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?"

"I am hope."

This is my favourite quote from this book, and one of my favourite quotes in general. It's beautiful. And true, thank god, so true.

I really liked this book. I've wanted to read The Sandman for a long time, and after this I'm beginning to grasp why it's become so popular. I really, really hope I can find the rest of these novels at my local library. I need more!

You can tell that this is a prelude to the "actual" series, and that means the plot is a bit too straightforward. I can forgive that, because it's suppose to introduces us to the different characters and it does a brilliant job of it, but where I was left in awe of the characters and the supernatural universe, I was left with a "meh" feeling about the plot.

Still, I am perhaps a little bit in love with Morpheus (and maybe also his sister, Death). For some reason he reminded me of Neil Gaiman looks-wise. Death is fabulous too, of course, but Morpheus managed to steal his way into my heart in a way his sparkling, goth sister didn't.

I'll definitely continue with this series, even if it means I have to buy it! It's creative, the art is to die for, and it manages to be both dark and hopeful at the same time (the quote above is an excellent example of this) something I think is probably a Neil Gaiman trait. It even managed to make me feel almost comfortable with the thought of dying, something that usually terrifies me. That is great story-telling.

They also get props for including Lucifer AND Beelzebub AND Azazel. Very cool.

So yes, this is definitely recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joby (new)

Joby Loved this book. Not the best in the series though

Samuel García The demon should have countered his "I am hope", with "I am despair and madness", but then the story wouldn't have Morpheus' killer blow.

Tiffany I feel like that quote is a bit of a spoiler. I mean it is how he wins the battle and it's the best part of the book imho.

Kirstine Tiffany wrote: "I feel like that quote is a bit of a spoiler. I mean it is how he wins the battle and it's the best part of the book imho."

That might be true. But it doesn't actually say who the first line belongs to, or what the context is, so no one reading the review would know that until they'd read it. (view spoiler)