Sandra "Jeanz"'s Reviews > One Moment

One Moment by Kristina McBride

May 22, 12

Read on May 22, 2012

MY REVIEW
I received this e-book from Netgalley for review.
I love the cover, the feeling of tranquillity it suggests to you, the foot just dipping in the water. The picture on the cover will become more relevant to you when you have read the book.
I really did enjoy this book, in fact I actually read it in one go! I didn't want to put it down, I had to know if Maggie would ever get any sense of closure and be able to move on with her life.
The whole group of friends was realistic of today's teenage generation as was the snide bitchy remarks that Shannon always made even though they were all supposed to be friends. I have to say of all the characters the two i liked the least were Shannon, she seemed so nasty, and probably Pete but I think that was more to do with the fact he wasn't mentioned or as active in the plot as much as the other teenage characters were.
The book was like a voyage of discovery finding out who was lying and what was going on and then when everything is fitted together at the end you realise that there were so many clues given to you by the author, Kristina along the way.
The book reminded me a little of Read Me Dead by Emerald Barnes in how I felt when I read it. It's difficult to say a great deal more about the book without giving away the plot. I will say things and people are not always as they seem. I also enjoyed Maggie's sessions with the psychiatrist even though initially she didn't want to go, she did eventually find the sessions most helpful. They helped Maggie get everything into a perspective, and to deal with memories or lack of them slowly at her own pace.
I also loved the significance of the quilt. The quilt was like life, not always full of good sparkly things, sometime we have to take the bad and ugly things too, just like the quilt some of the squares are beautiful, satins, with beautiful memories to match, others are connected to bad memories like the square of black material form Maggie's grandmothers dress that she wore to her husbands funeral. Even the quilt getting ripped has significance, the suggestion that like the quilt Maggie could be "repaired".
So Did I enjoy the book? Yes, loved it. Would I recommend it? Yes, I would compare it to Read Me Dead by Emerald Barnes, and In Leah's Wake by Terri Guilanno Long. Would I read more by Kristina McBride? Definitely!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Moment.