MandyM's Reviews > Wild Beauty

Wild Beauty by Lupa Garneau

May 22, 12

bookshelves: m-m-romance
Read in May, 2012

This is the second in an m/m shifter series that I'm enjoying more and more. Cherchi is one of the Rune Fang, a legendary shapeshifting race. He was stripped of his shifter magic after being attacked by vicious demons known as Kaga and has since felt crippled and weary of life. The Rune Fang tribe are visited by a group of ocelot shifters looking for a healer, and among them is Luka, an empath. Both men are young, inexperienced and troubled and they feel an immediate pull toward one another. Their growing affection forces them to face old hurts and new dangers.

Although this is a shifter romance it's also very much a fantasy novel. The mythology is carefully and lovingly built up through this and the previous novel and I still feel like there are many layers to unfold. The legend behind the Rune Fang and their fellow shifters is a mix of shamanistic American Indian and New Age beliefs. Contrary to many stories where the shifters are aggressive and violent, these heroes are peace-loving and very in tune with the Earth. Although they are strong and fierce when needed.

I loved Cherchi and Luka. Luka is such a bright shining soul and I could really believe that Cherchi couldn't resist him. They are curious about lovemaking and eagerly come together to try out their long-held fantasies. Luka, who is from South America, has a strong accent and can't pronounce Cherchi's name. He calls him 'Cheery' which made me go awww! every time. They are just so cute together.

We also get a POV from Cole who was one of the heroes in the first book. But it doesn't overwhelm the romance and Cole is still on a very interesting journey of his own that affects all the shifters so I really enjoyed his parts as well.

The book is marred by some mistakes (not sure if it's editing or formatting) in the last 20%. Appraising instead of Praising, Relevence instead of Reverence. A handful of wrong words like that. It stopped my reading as I tried to sort out what the sentence meant but it wasn't enough to stop me from enjoying the book. I really loved it and I can't wait till the next one in the series which I'm hoping might feature the strange and aloof Storm.

Start the series with book 1: Primal Desire.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Beauty.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sagajo Ah, the 2nd one it out??? Thanks!

MandyM Yep! As you can see I really liked it. lol. Hope you do too.:)

Sagajo Loved the first one, so I hope so!