Janet's Reviews > St. Martin's Summer

St. Martin's Summer by Diana Brown

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: mollygift, oop-regency, angsty-goodness
Read on June 08, 2012

Great fun albeit a tad predictable. But I enjoyed it for all that. The heroine remained true to herself and it was the hero who changed for her, realising her worth and moving heaven and earth to find her. Great ending -- he says to her horrified mother (since she has found Josephina in the arms of a man who is not her fiance), "I trust your silence does not mean you disapprove, for we are shortly leaving for Gloucestershire, where your son-in-law is to marry us, and then I plan to carry off my wife to a fine estate I have recently purchased in Yorkshire which is quiet and secluded and much in need of her talents as an organizer."

So often in Regencies the woman, no matter how she's introduced to us, develops a love for London and fripperies and such -- and it's not that Josephina doesn't appreciate looking lovely -- but her interest in farming, especially new methods, and poetry and helping people in general and being part of a community in particular, is bred in the bone. It's Lord Conniston Venables who changes -- who meets her at least 2/3rds of the way.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read St. Martin's Summer.

06/08/2012 page 121
56.28% "This is a powerful mixture of Venetia and Pride and Prejudice--a sophisticated lord falls hard for a capable yet naive young countrywoman, wise in decision-making but so innocent of the wider world. She turns down his proposal and immediately regrets it. The heavens have opened, "...soaking her hair and dress. The long St. Martin's summer was finally over.""
06/08/2012 page 155
72.09% "Josephina has gambled, heavily, on introducing merino sheep into her flock, yet when she turned down Lord Con's proposal, one of the reasons was that he gambled. He calls her on that, "I risk my purse on the lay of the die rather than on an obscure brand of sheep. It's less trouble, and I suspect, much less messy, but it's all part of the same game."" 1 comment

message 1: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Lucky you to find a copy of this book. Just checked on eBay and it would cost about $20 to get a copy!

Janet It's only a cent (ok, + $3.99 shipping) on AMZ. Can you get stuff from AMZ? I know because I just checked the price of The Emerald Necklace.

message 3: by Ilze (new)

Ilze I had an unpleasant experience ordering a used book from Amazon once so haven't done it since. I mostly buy used books from flea markets or UBS's, and for really hard-to-get stuff I go to either eBay or one of the online specialty used-book sellers (Biblio, abebooks).