Christine's Reviews > A Thousand Bayonets

A Thousand Bayonets by Joel Mark Harris

Jul 02, 2012

Read from June 22 to 29, 2012

This book tells the story of John Webster who is a journalist that has recently come home from reporting on the war in Afghanistan. While researching a story, he is a witness to a gang shootout and soon is on the run from both the police and people who are trying to kill him.

My thoughts:

John was a messed up guy. He wasn't someone that I liked. It seemed like he had made a mess of most of his life...except for his work, which he was extremely dedicated to. He definitely does what he thinks is right to get the story and expose the criminals. Yet, he was an absent father, drank too much, and had some serious issues from his time reporting in war zones. He was also a huge risk-taker and did some things that were just plain stupid. He didn't strike me as a stupid person, but more like he had given up on everything and just didn't care if he lived or died.

The other characters in the book were interesting, but I didn't feel much of a connection to any of them except for Chuck and Michelle. They had a bit more of a background than other characters and it was easier to understand their motivations.

Reading about Vancouver was great! I felt like I was there again walking alongside John. The author really captured the sights and sounds of the city and it was so easy to picture everything.

This book was a quick read and I think it will be well liked by readers who enjoy a good thriller or mystery novel. I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Bayonets.

06/22/2012 page 175