Megan Tewes's Reviews > Fireworks Over Toccoa

Fireworks Over Toccoa by Jeffrey Stepakoff

F_50x66
May 21, 12

Read in April, 2012

“Fireworks Over Toccoa,” by Jeffrey Stepakoff is a fictional romance novel whose story takes place in Toccoa, Georgia in 19450. The main characters are Lily Davis, Paul Woodward, and Jake Russo. Some other characters included in the story are real people from Toccoa, Georgia. Lily Davis and Paul Woodward were married for two weeks before Paul was deployed to fight in World War II. The main complication is that after her husband left to fight in the war, Lily met Jake Russo who was setting up a fireworks show for the 4th of July celebration in Toccoa. Jake was a poor, Italian immigrant, and she was from an upper-class, Southern family. She was forced to make a choice between her duty and commitment to her husband, Paul, and her true love, Jake.
I chose this book because it is meaningful to me since my mother grew up in Toccoa, Georgia. Also, my grandparents grew up there during the time period that is described in this book. Several of the people and store names mentioned in the book are familiar to me since I visit my grandfather who still lives in Toccoa quite often. For example, Doyle Street, the main street through downtown Toccoa, is mentioned several times in the book, and I have driven down that street many times before. I really enjoyed reading this book because it is relevant to the struggles people face in their lives daily, regarding what society expects of someone to do and what their heart tells them to do. One thing that I did not like about this book is the snobbery of the upper-class society described in the story and how they look down upon people of lesser means.
I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys romances. This book is definitely geared more toward the audience of females. Although there is nothing sexually explicit in the book, I would not recommend it to young children because of the adult-related conflicts described in the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireworks Over Toccoa.