Lisa's Reviews > Yoga Cures: Simple Routines to Conquer More Than 50 Common Ailments and Live Pain-Free

Yoga Cures by Tara Stiles
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yoga Cures.

message 1: by Lisa (last edited May 21, 2012 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Yep, it's another yoga book by Tara Stiles. I should know better than to go into bookstores when I've ten books on my "currently reading" shelf, but I'm an unabashed addict. I'm becoming one of Stiles's books, too. And this is a new one--how'd it slip by me?

Oh well. It's home with me now, and that's all that matters, because this yoga chick rocks. Walking's my main cardio, and I add strength training about three days a week. Squeezing in another 30-45 minutes for yoga is tough. 15 minutes I can do. Other than the fact that the photos are black and white (odd choice after color in first book), this is a winner.

First night I did the insomnia routine (medication side effect); slept deeply AND had a lovely dream. Next came the procrastination routine (you heard me); wrote an essay that I submitted for publication today, I kid you not. Tonight I did the hot flashes routine (another medication's side effect); will let you know if I stay dry tonight...tomorrow.

Notice a pattern here? I need yoga to quell unpleasant side effects of prescribed medications that negatively affect my life. Yes, need it. It took 42 years to learn to like exercise, eating better, etc., because it makes me FEEL better. And we know feeling better makes us look better.

If you missed it, the average rating of this book is 4.75 stars. Get thee to a library--but you're gonna want to buy it.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris SOLD! I've never heard of certain yoga routines for particular ailments, but I've got 'em, so I'm definitely going to see if I can find this on the cheap! :-)

Lisa Update on night sweats (what I really get as opposed to hot flashes, but still unwanted sweat!): stayed dry all night with exception to sweating before waking up @ 6AM. Not bad, considering I usually wake up soaked at 2-3AM. She suggests routine at least 3 times/week, so maybe it'll get better with regularity.

Other routines include those for migraines, the flu, arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes, exhaustion, fear, laziness, low self-esteem, sugar cravings, wrinkles, PMS, hangover, vertigo, cellulite, etc.

P.S. Stiles thoughtfully included three at-home yoga "retreats" for those, like me, who can't afford to fly to Bali for the real thing: "detox and declutter," inspiration," and "relax, restore, and rejuvenate." There's also a dictionary at the end of all the poses used (photos included). She's the owner of Strala Yoga in Manhattan so she knows of what she speaks, and it's in a down-to-earth and sincere manner.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris I finally bought this on half.com the other day, can't wait for it to arrive! :-)

Lisa Let me know what you think of it, if it helps cure what ails you :)