Audie's Reviews > The Crucible

The Crucible by Arthur Miller

May 22, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read from May 20 to 22, 2012, read count: 1

I thought this play was amazing! I'm really interested in theater and whatnot, and I haven't read too many plays in my life only a few and they've been a bit hard to follow sometimes. But the Crucible was very easy to read, I finished it in about a days time, while I did split it up into two days mostly just because I was busy. I thought it was slightly funny... and I felt that I shouldn't have been laughing at certain times but literally EVERYTHING about the Witch Trails is so ridiculous and funny and just nonsensical. And the dialog back and forth, especially in the end between the court and the so-called witches and wizards was just so fun to read. I thought that it also really touched on some deep subjects that I felt very important. While I'm not too religious, I did appreciate the message of being true to yourself. In the end each person who is charged has to make a decision: to answer ya or nay. If they say ya, they are saved but in turn they are lying to not only themselves, the judges, the community but also to God. And if they say nay, then they are killed. And I loved the general character changes throughout the piece with pretty much all of the characters, especially Hale.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone that wants a quick read, and is somewhat interested in that time period :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crucible.