Katy's Reviews > Wild Magic

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce

May 23, 12

bookshelves: can-t-stop-re-reading
Read from May 21 to 23, 2012

Daine is alone in the world, and it takes all her courage to approach Onua at the fair to see if she can be hired on for work helping bring a herd of spirted ponies south to Tortall. She tells the horse-mistress that she has a "knack with animals." But it soon becomes clear that her knack is magical in nature, allowing her to speak with animals. As she learns about her Wild Magic, stranger things begin to appear in the world, Immortals that haven't been seen for hundreds of years. Will she be able to come to grips with her past and master her strange magic in time?

Dun, dun duuuun!!!

I love this book. Yes, it's aimed at younger readers. But it captures the timeless tropes of finding new friendships, building your inner strengths, and beating the odds. Tamora Pierce has always been able to bring her characters to life and connect quickly with the reader.

There are a few parts where, as an adult, I find myself a little impatient with the writing, but overall this book shines. Especially as the action reaches a climax. Pierce's female characters have always been strong. And reading any of her books is like making a new friend. This is another of her novels that I read periodically for fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Magic.