Heidi McLaughlin's Reviews > So Close to You

So Close to You by Rachel Carter

May 21, 2012

Read from May 21 to 27, 2012

I’m going to admit, when I started reading So Close to You, I thought author, Rachel Carter, was going for the Blair Witch type novel. And so much to my surprise that is not where she went.

Enthralled. Sucked in. Charmed. Enchanted. Those are just a few words to describe how this book makes you feel. This review is incredibly hard to write because I don’t want to tell you what it’s about, but how can I not!!

So the story goes like this Lydia has heard numerous stories about the Montauk Project, mostly from her aging grandfather. Apparently, her great-grand father was involved or part of the project and he went to work one day and never returned. Lydia’s grandpa is convinced there is a conspiracy there and takes her along as they investigate the old Air Force base where the project was housed.

Everything changes for Lydia on one rainy Saturday when she finds the door to the suspected underground bunker open. Instead of getting help, she ventures in and from that moment everything as she knows it changes. Some changes are for the better, but not everything will be sunshine and roses when she emerges from the bunker.

Set in the small coastal town of Montauk, New York, Camp Hero and the Montauk Project are very real. Many people believe that the US Government used this site for psychological warfare and exotic research including time travel.

Now that I’ve given that away – So Close to You is one of the best time travel stories I’ve ever read. I found myself telling Lydia to stay in the past and start a life and urging her to return with everything that she learned. Carter’s writing is solid and crisp and flips between decades effortlessly. So Close to You isn’t just about time travel, there’s suspense, mystery and romance for everyone’s reading pleasure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Close to You.

05/25/2012 page 121