kb's Reviews > Come See About Me

Come See About Me by C.K. Kelly Martin

Aug 20, 12

Read from August 04 to 10, 2012

And because I liked I Know It's Over, I thought I could give C.K. Kelly Martin another round and picked up her latest novel, which has been tagged under New Adult. I kind of struggled with this one, though, but only because I was so hung up with the idea of comparing the emotions it will trigger from me as I felt with Janet Fitch's Paint It Black, which also centers around the death of a significant other. What eventually got me was just how Martin delivers her stories with such convincing realities. She never gets you thinking, "Yeah, right." or "You don't say!" or "That seems unrealistic."

Yay!s
-I like the portrayal of Leah's pain. It's believable and relatable. You'd think you knew Bastien, her boyfriend that died, and loved him so deeply, too.
-And speaking or Leah's pain, she translated that into sexual relations with this seemingly hot piece of an Irish guy called Liam. Who was in pain himself.
-It's the United Nations right here in the book! Thank you, Ms. Martin, for including various races in your story - Africans, Asians, Europeans, North Americans!
-Leah's parents are so supportive, something we don't see much in most YA and New Adult novels. (Yes, I'm always at it over the parental units. I just think it's great that we could have more positively portrayed support family systems in books.)
-Have I already mentioned anything about Martin's prose? It's beautiful. A bit emotionally painful, but a beauty.

Boo!
-From the beginning, I kept on wondering how the book will wrap up - will Leah be able to fall in love again, or will Leah just wallow until she died? Of course, she falls again but not in the way I wanted her to because what happened in the ending was too fairy-taley and that disappointed me a little.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come See About Me.