Leeanna's Reviews > Silver

May 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arcs, i-own, for-review
Read in May, 2012

I haven’t read many werewolf books, other than the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. The summary for "Silver" caught my eye, though — a werewolf who can’t shift? I wanted to find out what had happened to Silver, and how she lost her “wild self.”

Silver, the main female character, has an interesting past. She was tortured with silver, which took away her ability to shift into were form. Torture with silver isn’t something North American packs do, but Andrew Dare, the main male character, recognizes it from his time in Europe. Andrew is the reinforcer for the Roanoke pack, a job that keeps him a lone wolf — literally.

The blurb on the back cover makes it sound like a hot romance develops between Andrew and Silver as they hunt down the monster that hurt her. The relationship that springs up between them feels a lot more like a friendship that moves into something more because of shared experiences, not because they’re all hot and bothered for each other. So the blurb is misleading, but I didn’t mind. One of my biggest complaints with urban fantasy is romance, so I was happy that there wasn’t a lot in "Silver." Not everything needs to be a love story.

For me, "Silver" isn’t a memorable book. I kept putting it down and not being motivated to pick it back up. While I liked the author’s writing style — particularly some of her descriptions — the pacing of the book was slow. It’s only 320 pages, but it read like twice that length. Some tighter editing would have improved the flow, and taken out some unnecessary passages.

I had a hard time caring about Silver or Andrew. Silver was hard to follow, because she was somewhat crazy. Sometimes she talked to Death; the silver poisoning affected her mind as well as her ability to shift. I have to give the author credit for writing a believable crazy person (as unpolitically correct as that has to sound), but Silver’s conversations with Death made the beginning of the book confusing.

"Silver" is the first in a trilogy. I probably won’t pick up the next two, because I don’t have that driving urge to find out what Silver and Andrew are going to do next.

I received this book through the Amazon Vine program..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver.

03/12/2016 marked as: read