James Parrish's Reviews > The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Live

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Live by Douglas Adams

M_50x66
May 23, 12

Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I thought that the book was intriging, hilarious, and sort of in its own way unfortunate. This is the first of the series and i was amazed how Douglas Adams wrote this novel. The word choice in the book was amazing, i would have gone my whole life without knowing what a fjord is if not for the book. The characters is what I really thought about how complex the hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings didn't really feel like a complexity that no one could understand. My favorite part of the book was the fact that the Earth was destroyed to make a highway or hyperspatial express route when the 10 million year program was almost completed. The thing that made me like this book was the irony at constant points of the book, like the first computer coming up with 42 and the Earth being destroyed. The book follows Arthur Dent, an unfortunate Englishmen who visits Magrathea, a collapsed building industry, who then meets Slartibartfast, a planetary coastline designer who was responsible for the fjords(I personally had no idea what a fjord was and thought it was a grammatical error) of Norway and he relates the pan-dimensional beings that built the planet-like computer that is supposed to calculate the answer to life, the universe, and everything. But, instead of giving a very complex and long terms of the answer he answers 42 which took about 7 million years to figure out. So disappointed with the turn out, they ask/tell(I'm not really sure how to word this) another computer to find the question so they could find the hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings what to ask the super computer, Earth, which was destroyed by Vogon's to create a hyperspatial express route, with the best timing five minutes before the 10 MILLION YEAR program was done, FIVE MINUTES BEFORE THE 10 MILLION YEAR program was DONE. The two pan-dimensional beings who commissioned the Earth in the first place, disguise themselves as Trillian's mice, and try to dissect Arthur's brain to help reconstruct the question, since he was part of the Earth's matrix moments before it was destroyed(I would hate to have my brain dissected). So he is likely to have part of the question buried in his brain. Trillian is also human but had left Earth six months previously with Zaphod Beeblebrox, President of the Galaxy. And I was curious to how it ends and I read that this set the tone for the The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Live.