Vera Godley's Reviews > Breathtaking Birds

Jun 04, 12

Recommended for: home & school library, grades 4-7
Read from May 21 to June 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

And God created every winged
fowl after his kind: and God saw
that it was good (Genesis 1:21).

My Thoughts:
As the title implies, birds are a marvel of creation - and of our Creator God. The book opens with an introductory treatise on evolution's postulation that birds evolved from dinosaurs and presents an introductory lesson in evolution verses creationism. The book is inherently a children's book and the level of discussion is directed to that audience.

The pictures are beautiful and the text well written, descriptive, and informative. Each bird is aptly described with attributes special to that particular Bird but a "special design feature" and a "Did you know?" section is included for each bird.

A well-drawn illustration of the bird skeleton, of the parts of a bird, and of the bird's beak varieties and their purposes are featured in the back of the book. This book will do well for the upper elementary and middle school student. While a younger child will enjoy looking at the pictures and an adult will enjoy the entire book, it is more valuable as a learning tool for those specifically in grades 4-7.

About the book: This spectacular book brings the world of feathered creatures alive in a unique and colorful way. Features beautiful photographs of 30 animals from around the world, along with a page of facts and commentary about each creature. Perfect for homes, libraries, and schools, this resource is a powerful teaching tool.

ISBN: 978-0-89051-457-3 Hardbound, 80 pages, 30 different birds featured

About the author/s: Buddy & Kay Davis - Speaker, Author, Illustrator, Singer/Songwriter, Adventurer & Dinosaur Sculptor! Buddy’s greatest adventure happened in the north of the Alaskan tundra (within the Arctic Circle) with his search for dinosaur bones. His exploration for Noah’s Ark took him to Mt. Ararat in Turkey. His work has been featured worldwide in newspapers, magazines, books, and on television.

DISCLOSURE: I was provided a complimentary copy of the book by publisher Master Books in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathtaking Birds.