P.A. Lupton's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Apr 27, 14

Read from May 21, 2012 to April 23, 2014

I have to start off this review by telling everyone how much I love Goodreads. Best social networking site ever! I would never have read this book otherwise. This was a pick for me challenge where I let someone else choose what I was going to read. When I saw she had chosen Obsidian I almost wanted to back out of the challenge. The blurb made me think the book is sci-fi, and I am not a fan of sci-fi books. Add to that the fact that I am also not a fan the Young Adult genre (I don’t mind the odd YA book, but they are usually not my first choice), and this book wasn’t winning any points. But still, a deal’s a deal so I decided to suck it up and read it. I am thrilled that I did. I absolutely loved this book.

I love a story where the hero and heroine meet and it’s not love at first site, more like hate at first sight. It has to be done well though, and if the hero is a total jerk he has to still be redeemable. Jennifer Armentrout does a fantastic job with the antagonistic banter between the two. No matter how much of a jerk Daemon is, you can’t help but fall in love with him. I love a hot, arrogant hero to drool over.

Katy is a great heroine, too. She has back bone and I like that. I love the scene where she dumps her food over their head in the cafeteria. She definitely gave as good as she got. I loved their first meeting:

“Thanks,” I muttered and added under my breath, “Douchebag.”

He laughed, deep and throaty. “Now that’s not very ladylike, Kittycat.”

I whipped around. “Don’t ever call me that,” I snapped.

“It’s better than calling someone a douchebag, isn’t it?” He pushed out the door. “This has been a stimulating visit. I’ll cherish it for a long time to come.”

Okay. That was it. “You know, you’re right. How wrong of me to call you a douchebag. Because a douchebag is too nice of a word for you,” I said, smiling sweetly. “You’re a dickhead.”

“A dickhead?” he repeated. “How charming.”

I flipped him off.”

I love that this was a different Paranormal story, very unique. It was fast paced and engaging. It reminded me of Roswell, I loved that series. I definitely recommend reading this book if you are a fan of the paranormal genre. If you’re like me and don’t like sci-fi or even YA, don’t worry, you’ll enjoy this book.

***edit*** reread on audio. At first I found the narrator a little annoying, but I got used to her. Just as good the second time.

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

04/23/2014 marked as: currently-reading
04/23/2014
1.0% "I think I need to reread. i tried to pick up book 3 and couldn't remember anything that happened:) I loved this story so I reread will be good."
04/27/2014 marked as: read

message 1: by Rayna (new) - added it

Rayna okay what group are you in that they have challenge reads? sounds like fun?

P.A. Lupton Rayna wrote: "okay what group are you in that they have challenge reads? sounds like fun?"

Oh it's the best group. I love it. My favorite on GR. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...

You should join. We have fun chats http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
and good challenges. Last month they had an I-Dare-You challenge where they found the most awful sounding books with things like porcupine shifters and other crazy storylines and they dared each other to read them. Then they all posted snippets from the books they read and it was hilarious.

You will like it. The girls are very welcoming too. I've joined groups where people aren't that open with new members, but the girls in Kick are great.

message 3: by Rayna (new) - added it

Rayna Im sold......thanks :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ "But I Digress" Queen Great review. This has been on my tbr for a long time, I really should get to it.

P.A. Lupton I'm doing a reread right now

P.A. Lupton I like all of her writing. She writes as J.Lynn when it's not paranormal. Wait for You (Wait for You, #1) by J. Lynnwas excellent. I love her dialogue in all her books. Even if it's not a particularly unique story, her characters are always fantastic.

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ "But I Digress" Queen I have that one on my tbr too actually. It's good to hear that her characters are always fantastic. I definitely prefer character driven stories over plot driven ones. I will have to check them out sooner rather than later.