Carolyn's Reviews > Promises to Keep

Promises to Keep by Jane Green

May 25, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read from May 21 to 25, 2012

Wow. Ok, Jane Green. After Dune Road I doubted, but with this one you proved me wrong. Forcefully.

Promises to Keep is about a young mother named Callie Tollemache who, on the five year anniversary of the day she was declared free of breast cancer, is diagnosed with a rare complication from it. In the beginning of the book Callie seems to be just another overwhelmed mom driving the kids to soccer and tae kwon do or whatever they have, and I literally rolled my eyes at first because I thought it was going to be such a predictable book.

I was so wrong. Callie takes on an almost God-like quality by the end; even though she leaves a huge hole in everyone's heart when she goes, she makes sure every single person grows into the role she thinks they need to be happiest, and she is right. Maybe it's all a little TOO perfect at the end (the divorced parents remarry? I don't know about that one) but the emotions are so real and so raw; I cry pretty easily at books, but there aren't many books that LEAVE me crying for hours afterwards, and this one did it.

All in all, a really beautifully written book about the ways that cancer tries to kill not just one person, but everyone whose lives that person touches - and the ways that person's love can overcome it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises to Keep.