Calli's Reviews > Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament

Touched with Fire by Kay Redfield Jamison

Sep 21, 2008

bookshelves: currently-reading

I have often been curious about the saying, 'There is a fine line between genius and madness,' and with that I have continually found myself drawn to the works of writer's poets, artist's, musicians, scientists, philosophers, et all whom are said to have suffered from some sort of mental illness. I have been unconsciously (until recently) been drawn over and over again to this subject, this connection between what this author describes as the 'Artistic Temperament,' and in this case Manic-Depressive Illness. I had been researching this subject strictly out of fascination and came upon this book at my local university's book store just the other day. It is beginning to answer many questions that I have had. The author is also the author of 'The Unquiet Mind', the memoir of her own personal account with mental illness. I personally do not suffer from manic-depression but know many talented people who do. We all have our ups and downs in life to be sure, but this goes deeper and looks into the lives of favorites like Vincent van Gogh, and many many others. The list is quite lengthy of the talented people whose names are recognized as huge talents in their fields. I can't wait to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touched with Fire.