JDK1962's Reviews > Canada

Canada by Richard Ford

May 31, 12

Read from May 21 to 31, 2012

I found this to be a very powerful work, a coming of age novel in which the narrator finds the course of his life becoming irrevocably shaped by the poor choices of others.

Some reviewers have said that this novel starts slowly and then picks up, but I found it compelling from the start. It is not a fast-paced or plot-driven novel by any stretch of the imagination: it is paced very deliberately. But it is amazing for its ability to create the world of an unformed 15-year old boy whose life changes forever in a very short span of time. The writing is excellent, and Ford's ability to conjure a place in time is superb.

I did not find the novel to be without flaws, upon which I won't speak further (perfect is a difficult standard to reach in a 400+ page novel). Suffice it to say that even when I might have had my doubts, the book pulled me along and kept me reading (the use of foreshadowing is extremely well done). This was the first novel by Richard Ford that I've read, but I'll definitely seek out others.

Perhaps Canada is not a great novel, but it's certainly a very fine one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Canada.