Kevin's Reviews > Warbreaker

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

M 50x66
May 21, 12

Read in June, 2010

A new work from the guy who is rapidly becoming my favorite author, needless to say, I read it fast. I also read it back to back with Shades of Gray, which was odd, simply because both books were built around worlds obsessed with color. Warbreaker follows two princesses, Vivenna and Siri. The rustic kingdom which is their home made a treaty to marry one of them to the incarnate god of its powerful rival kingdom. Vivenna was raised with this in mind and had the character for the task. She is self-possessed and knowledgeable. Siri, on the other hand, was allowed to essentially run wild. As the day comes to send one, the king decides that he loves Vivenna too much, and sends the wild child Siri. Vivenna, feeling lost and purposeless, determines to follow Siri and rescue her. Thus both sisters wind up in the great, bewildering metropolis, but in vastly different circumstances. Vivenna is on the outskirts of society, trying to create a resistance, while Siri is locked away in sumptuous splendor. This being a Sanderson novel, I am of course leaving out the other two or three perspective characters and the vast richness of the world he creates. As in Elantris and Mistborn, the world is interesting, detailed, and involves a complex "magic" that has rules the reader must learn. All of this is fascinating. But more importantly, Sanderson also creates deep and interesting characters, and a brilliant, complex plot that will mystify you right up to the climax. Highly recommended.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warbreaker.