Garrett Nicolai's Reviews > Boy's Life

M 50x66
May 24, 12

bookshelves: outstanding
Read from May 21 to 24, 2012

Wow! What can I say? I'd had this book kicking around my to-read pile for at least a year, and finally got around to reading it; I can't believe it took me so long to find it.

The story starts with a murder, as a beat-up dead man behind the wheel of a car crashes into the lake outside the protagonist's (young Cory Mackenson) home town of Zephyr, Alabama. Even stranger, despite living in a small town where everyone knows everyone else, no one knows who the dead man was, and nobody seems in too big of a hurry to find his killer. Cory's father, who dove into the lake to save the man, begins having haunting dreams of the ghost calling to him to find his murderer.

As the story progresses, Cory moves through his particularly event-filled 13th year, experiencing all sorts of adventures made all the more exciting by his vivid imagination. As the year progresses, events start to fit together, like "snippets of a quilt", and Cory begins to see a hidden side of Zephyr, and begins to piece together just who the murderer is.

More a "bildungsroman" than an out-and-out murder mystery, "Boy's Life" deals with Cory's coming-of-age, and his realizations that the world is not exactly the magic place he once thought it to be. Magic still exists, but with each year, you have to look harder to find it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy's Life.