Book Flame's Reviews > The Sweetest Dark

liked it
bookshelves: dragons
Read from July 24 to 31, 2012

3.5

When I first initially picked up the book I read a few chapters and then ended up putting it down because it just didn't hold my attention, and I blame it on my mood or something because when I picked it up the second time a few weeks later I liked it a whole lot better. True the first half of the book moved a little slow for me but the writing was so beautiful that I kept on reading and about the last 20 or 30 percent of the book it sped up to the point of where I couldn't put it down.

The Sweetest Dark was centered around WW1 and is about Lora Jones who hears music that isn't there and voices of something that no one else can. One day the orphanage she stayed at gets bombed and she is sent to a boarding school as the charity case for the year since Iverson is only attended by the kids from extremely wealthy families. And there she meets Armand and Jesse who are very different... literally (you will see as you read and discover more about them) but they are both likable in their own ways and have feelings for Lora.

Lora was a surprise. As the charity case at her school all the girls had been ready to make her life miserable but the girl had a backbone and was not a pushover. She also had a mouth on her and not afraid to use it, I loved the moments when she was able to shut those snooty girls up. Also I liked the fact that even though she has the attention of two guys she only had her heart set on one, no indecisiveness on her part at all so in actuality no real love triangle in the book.

The ending was a shocker what is going on with authors killing off key characters. Although I'm hoping the person is not really dead or in some magical way comes back. Then again I don't even know if this is a series since there isn't anything mentioned saying it is...but there is no way I could settle for such a sad ending so please let there be a sequel! Not to mention there are still a lot of unanswered questions no way can this be it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetest Dark.